Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2015, 09:44 AM   #1870 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Rainbow Grey
Artiste: The Deaf Aids
Genre: Electronic
Familiarity: I've heard one of their albums before; don't remember being impressed

1. Synthetic soul: Nice piano, nice beat but has that cutting-in-and-out thing that I hate and always upsets my ears. Getting into a kind of trancey groove now. Yeah it was okay but not really my thing, kind of lacking any real cohesive melody. Good for what it is though.
2. Lend me your ears: Nice piano on this, bass works in nicely too. Sampler effect? Also nice. Little too much warping though later on. Kind of ruins it for me. That fuzzy bass is good though. Can't honestly say I love it, can't honestly say I hate it. So my first Orange then on this album.
3. The hollow house: More guitar driven, when with a title like that I had expected echoey piano or droney synth. Hmm. Funky. But it doesn't suit the title. No, sir, it does not, noway nohow.
4. Limb from limb: I'm finding the music a little formless, to be honest. It's well played but in general it doesn't really go anywhere. This is a good example.
5. Rainbow grey: Nice phased guitar opening (I think) and it's a slower track. Some nice synth, almost Vangelisesque at times. Really nice track.
6. On tape: Love the acoustic guitar on this one, the handclaps, everything. Great track. Unfortunately he has to mix in some sampled phased weird stuff. Some nice electric guitar which sounds like a sitar
7. Everybody's special: Don't really like this; has no melody ... or does it? No, it doesn't.
8. Microwave dinner: No, really hate this. Grates on me.
9. Cheap trick: This is a good bit better. Some pretty cohesive stuff on it. Like the piano and the synth.
10. Lossless: This one's also not bad. Some nice phrases in the music but again it kind of leaps all over the place.

End result: This is why I hate reviewing music by people I know. It's often completely outside the kind of thing I enjoy, and then I have tpo be negatively critcal, which is something I don't like doing. However this is just not my cup of tea. No doubt there's talent there and I'm sure lots of you would and will enjoy it, but it's not for me.

So, Love or Hate? Just a Meh, I'm afraid. Not even enough Orange to get it a Like, but at least it wasn't a Hate...