Music Banter - View Single Post - Introduction & sharing Asian Music
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2015, 08:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
Wudadi111
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
There are more than two types of throat singing. You have kargyraa, which is the low, rumbling type of singing that uses your vestibular folds. Then you have khoomei, which is the one with the higher whistling controlled by emboichre. Then you have sygt, which sounds just like khoomei, but has a wider range and can hit more overtones. Plus underneath all of these you have various substyles, oidupaa kargyraa is probably the most well known.

One of the cooler things that I find about Tuvan throat singing is that the techniques are to mimick different elements of nature: wind blowing down mountainsides, water swirling through rocks, etc.
Someone said 7 types of throat singing. As I know a Mongolian musician said there are 4 types of throat singing. I know the Chinese name, but I don't know the English name. In general, I think there are three main types: high, low and high + low

In China, Mongolia Japan,....we just call it throat singing. Because throat singing isn't a Tuva's patent.

Your are right throat singing is that the techniques are to mimick different elements of nature. It has an official Chinese name, but I forgot it. Ancient nomad people start to mimick the sound of river, mountain, forest, wind and animals like cattle, sheep, horse.....In the end, this sound become throat singing. btw, If you are Asian maybe you know it, If you aren't good find.
Wudadi111 is offline   Reply With Quote