Music Banter - View Single Post - The Torture Chamber
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2015, 05:19 AM   #79 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title:Pebbles Vol 3 “the Acid Gallery”
Artiste: Various
Genre: Psych
Evil Bastard: Oriphiel

Ah, some of my pet hates collide! Sixties garage rock, psychedelia, drugs and long albums. Gonna be a tough slog this one, but I'll be damned if I'll be the first one to pussy out! Well, kicking off with a song about anal sex is a good start. It's all spoken word behind sort of trippy music, but not too bad. “Higher elevation: the diamond mine”. Indeed. Like the end line: “The hand that cradles the rock can certainly rule the world!” Mad sixites organ psychedelia now, the kind of thing no doubt young ladies in miniskirts and go-go boots would be dancing to, completely off their heads of course. Pretty repetitive for the most part. Another short one though. Getting a bit confused and off the wall now, as these things tend to. Oh, that's some nice keyboard though. Another speaking voice, female this time. Guess that's Suzy Creamcheese. That name sounds familiar: something to do with Floyd?

Stones-style guitar with a kind of Beatles vibe. Good vocal though, kind of Lou Reed/Bowielike. Wait a minute. Is Suzy Creamcheese the name of the artiste or the song? Half of these could be either. Weird. I don't know anyone here so I'm going to assume the second part is the song, in which case this is William Penn V and “Swami”, which not surprisingly has something of an Indian vibe. It was cool to be into Indian things in the sixties apparently. Just not curries. This actually sounds very Moody Blues. Good solo, though glad to hear it's guitar and not sitar. Halve to laugh at a name like Jefferson Handkerchief, and the title of the song is no less hilarious: “I'm allergic to flowers”. No love-in for you then! Almost a Spanish/Latin feel to it, then the vocal reminds me of a cross between S&G and the Everleys. Oh man, they said “Groovy!” Where's me kaftan? Ah, he sneezed! This is ****ing great!

Oh we're back to talking mysteriously, though this time there's singing going on as well. Confusing. Calico Wall eh? Where do they get these names from? Someone honking a horn there? Yeah, this one is a bit annoying. At least they're all short songs. This is over in one minute. Nice guitar, sort of Mammas and Papas on “Loose lips sync ship” (see what Hogs did there?) Might be an instrumental. Think it is. Isn't. Slowed down into a nice blues groove now with the vocal spoken very stiltedly, deliberately. Going a bit jazzy now on piano. Don't like it anymore. Church organ and the attempt at being a preacher is just stupid. Speaking of stupid, the next band is called Driving Stupid. Oooh! Blues! Like this! A lot. They have another one two, called “Horror asparagus stories” (the previous one was “The reality of air-fried borsk”, apparently) and although this deviates from the tracklisting I was given, there's a bonus track missing so I guess this will fill in for it. It's pretty funny and, to use the parlance of the day, groovy man.

Yeah, I see there's a major difference between the tracklist and the playlist, but I'll stick with the YouTube and just, you know, go with the flow, daddy-o. Sorry, getting a little carried away here. I was only two years old halfway through the sixties; maybe I'm trying to relive my babyhood. This one is good too, kind of nearer to hard or blues rock really, then though I don't like bees, “Voices green and purple” takes us halfway through the album, so suck it Ori! I laugh at your attempts to torture me! Guitar riff in this one is pretty good, sort of Blackmore-ish. How a voice can have a colour is beyond me though. Guy kind of sings a little like a Country singer. Oh it's over and we're into more talking with “Let's take a trip”. Let's not. Oh well, if I must. But with someone called Godfrey? Think of my reputation! Okay I think this next guy thinks he's Arthur Brown or something. He isn't. The cries of “Help me!” are funny though, though it sounds more like Porky Pig than a fly. Organ's a bit wild but his vocal is beyond ridiculous.

Very Doors, this one. “Faces” eh? Meh. Well fair enough but what does “Dom kallar oss mods” mean? Man, this guy can sing fast! Not bad, decent guitar work. This one's the longest yet --- four minutes --- but has some questionable moaning in it. Yuck. I don't know what a fram is, but this is about a dribbling one apparently. Well, any track with harmonica in it gets my vote. But that's really the only good thing about this. If this was the tracklist I'd be finished now but I have another six tracks to go. Damn ye, Ori! Hey he dropped his harmonica and is afraid the bass player will step on it --- he has. Harmonicas cost more than bass players, it would seem. Dole queue for him then. More western style on “Anxious color” and it sounds rather close to “Paint it black”...

Two from Adjeef the Poet next; one is sub-sub-sub-sub Morrison nonsense, the other is just terrible to the max. Jews harp? Ugh. When used well this can be very effective. This is not used well. Oh it's “Paint it black” in disguise again (“City Jungle” just passed me by without making any impression) and it may be an instrumental? No, wrong again. Hearing the vocals though I now wish it had been. Ah well, only one more track to go and I'm out of here. God the repeating guitar riff here is annoying! Catfish Knight? Seriously: don't any of these people have ordinary names for their bands? Sounds of cash register – oh I see: “Rattle of life”. Clever. Yeah, not. Shouting like a carnival barker, bells, even carnival sounds incidentally, birdsong, this is one of the worst yet. Thank god it's the last.

Well, I'm off back to the 21st century. No wonder I hate this period of music. There were some okay songs and that one about being allergic to flowers, ****ing hilarious, but on the whole I think I'd rather have my head removed with a blunt spoon than go through that again! Still, once again it's a zero for my challenger!