Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2015, 09:07 AM   #2956 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Sigh. Trollheart, it is there.

The melodies on Obscura may not be the same type of melodies that you may hear on, say, a Taylor Swift or a Genesis album, but they are melodies nonetheless. They are not pretty little melodies you can pop into your pocket and hum to yourself without getting looks, of course, but it's closeminded (there's that word again) to think that they are not melodies just because you don't like them (which I understand entirely, even though I love it and **** you for thinking otherwise ). You could say the same for structure. The band is incredibly tight and there are repeated motifs regardless of how much you enjoy what they are playing. To imply that the music is freeform or structureless is as ludicrous as saying that Buddy Rich doesn't play drums on any of his songs just because you don't like jazz.
Sigh right back at you. You can't make me change my opinion just because you want me to. I understand that you, and a whole host of people love that album, but I'm entitled to see it, and review it, as it appears to me. You might as well have me try to convince you why Script for a Jester's Tear is an underrated classic. You wouldn't see it and would stick to your own preconceived view of it, which I would expect you to. I'm not saying Obscura is a crap album, just that I got nothing out of it. And nothing you say or do, including a sneery little post about how I "could have written it" will change that. You need to understand that I don't see all music the same as you do. No doubt you thought Evan Parker was great, I heard just noise and made fun of it. We all interpret music in our own different ways, and to try to push someone into seeing what you do, when it's clear they never will, is just wasted effort.

Also, remember, as always, ANYTHING I say here, unless it's backed up by other sources, is MY opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree. But if I say I don't hear melody in Album A, your quoting ten articles that say there is melody in it is equally pointless, as it's my opinion and not likely to be swayed by anything you write. I'll give most albums a shot, but if I don't like one I don't like one and nobody is going to convince me otherwise. You're just as closeminded in that regard when it comes to my music, which I accept and don't try to change your opinion. Why you keep trying to hammer me down until I accept your word that this album is great is beyond me. Just accept it man, and move on. It's only one guy's opinion on one forum in a web of limitless dimensions. In the end, what does it matter?