Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 05:40 AM   #2982 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Turbo had originally been planned as part of a two-album deal called Twin Turbo, with the more melodic, radio-friendly songs on the first album (which became Turbo itself) and the harder, rockier ones on the never-released other album. This turned out to be their next project, and if the above is to be believed we can hope for a much heavier record than we have just listened to.

Ram it down (1988)
This album would also be the last to feature longtime drummer Dave Holland, who would leave after recording it due to health problems. In fact, he was so sick that the band decided to use a drum machine for most of his parts, and so essentially he's not really on the album very much. It opens on the title track, with a big scream from Halford and immediately you know this is a whole new proposition: machinegun guitars, galloping drums, a hard, powerful vocal and the boys just going heads-down, kicking the album off in fine style. There's nothing AOR about this one! Great fretburning solos from the guys and if there's more than a hint of melody that could nod back to the previous album, then it's quickly shoved aside by the duelling axemen.

What song title says “heavy metal” like, um, “Heavy Metal”? As if anxious to prove they have not sold out, Priest reaffirm their heavy credentials and ascend to the top of the metal pile, kicking all before them down, as even at this point Iron Maiden are beginning to falter as Bruce Dickinson becomes increasingly disillusioned with the direction the band is taking, and makes ready to jump ship. Standing proud again at the summit, Priest beat their chests and challenge all comers. This song is heavy with a capital “h”! Sort of like a cross between Manowar and Kiss, with some classic Maiden thrown in. And Saxon. Powerful and anthemic.

If “Love zone” sounds like a ballad, it ain't. The tempo keeps high hard and heavy as the band race along, Halford at his highest-pitched, reminding me once again of Brian Johnson, the twin guitars growlign and spitting as they go. Everything about this album screams “We are not AOR! We are Heavy FUCKING Metal!”, with titles like “Hard as Iron”, “I'm a rocker”, the title of course and the next one, “Come and get it”, which just keeps pouring out the metal riffs and the sweat, blood and tears (of joy), an unstoppable force, a charging wild animal that ain't gonna be fazed by any poxy tranquiliser dart! Thundering along with “Hard as iron”, which would give Manowar and some Power Metal bands a run for their money. Whatever they did with the drum machine, I certainly don't hear a huge difference and it's not in any way obvious that this is not Dave Holland hitting the skins.

Smoke rises into the air as another searing solo sets the roof on fire, things finally slowing down for the atmospheric opening of “Blood red skies”, expressive acoustic guitar and what sounds like synth backing painting the scene, Halford coming down a few octaves vocally but still injecting as much passion into his singing as we've become used to. Of course then it ramps up with stuttering, slicing guitar and pounding percussion, the drama upping a level. This could very well be my favourite on the album, though it's hard to say as it's all really good. I like the progressive overtones on this while it still manages to be heavy as all hell. “I'm a rocker” keeps everything fast heavy and almost at a breakneck pace.

Then we get “Johnny B. Goode.” Okay, it's a classic but at this stage of their career I don't see why Priest need to be covering an old rock standard like this. They do it well, but it just seems totally out of place. Maybe it's just me. Anyway, “Love you to death” stomps all over the place with menace and dark desire. I know the guys at this point had ditched the leather-and-studs image, but this song just oozes a bondage motif, the guitars whipcracking as the bass bumps and grinds, Halford's throaty snarl above it all holding court with the twin guitars climaxing at .... you know what? Let's, um, let's just leave it at that, okay? A big echoey punch on the drums pulls in “Monsters of rock” and ensures we end on a crushing high, and if you weren't already bruised, battered and broken by this powerhouse of an album, this will roll right over you and pop any bones you may have left into dust. And you'll be grinning like an idiot when it rumbles away.

TRACKLISTING

1. Ram it down
2. Heavy metal
3. Love zone
4. Come and get it
5. Hard as iron
6. Blood red skies
7. I'm a rocker
8. Johnny B. Goode
9. Love you to death
10. Monsters of rock

Again, after a brief blip we have another superb Priest album. Maybe it's just every second one I should be listening to? If this had been released as a double with Turbo I think it would have sold very well indeed. As it is, this album for me cements the heavy metal gods tag attributed to Judas Priest, and shows them at the very top of their game. At a time when metal's elite were beginning to falter and fade on this side of the big water, Rob Halford was leading his men in a triumphant blood-fuelled charge up the hill, and planting the flag of Judas Priest there, where it would remain for some time.