Music Banter - View Single Post - The Torture Chamber
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 07:16 PM   #156 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title:Yuxo: A New Daxophone Operetta
Artiste: Hans Reichel
Genre: Experimental
Evil Bastard: Grindy

And I thought he had just misspelled saxophone! Apparently, this is a daxophone https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daxophone : learn something new every day I guess! Well, first I feel as if Snuffelupagus from Sesame Street has come walking by. It's extremely bassy, almost like someone who has a really bad chest cold trying to hum or sing, but in a few moments it falls into some kind of rhythm, with other sounds (choral vocals?) creating the main melody and it's not too bad, once you get over the initial shock. First track is quite short, then the next one seems to be on a higher register, almost like a kazoo leading it. Can't say for certain, as information, not surprisingly, like the album itself, is very hard to come by. Nice bit of percussion coming in now, and that could be a trumpet or sax. Quite jazzy, upbeat, pretty nice really. This one is longer at four minutes and change (the opener was less than two) and it does sound at times like someone is blowing into a jug, but it's quite bearable. Catchy, even.

“You can dance with me” is a little more in the Jean-Michel Jarre mode, actually sounds a lot like one of the tracks off Oxygene. Peppy, for sure. Great percussion again, and it sounds like a glass harp being used, though god knows what it really is. Quite enjoying this. Next one sounds like one of those horns you see or hear of people blowing on top of mountains. Good upbeat feel to it once it gets going. Certainly makes my toes tap. Kind of a twenties/thirties feel to it. Despite its length (over six and a half minutes) it doesn't drag or outstay its welcome. Nice. I like the back-and-forth between the dax and whatever else it is (trumpet? Or maybe it's all the dax, just sampled) and then the organ coming in (I assume it's an organ); very bright and breezy. This is “Oway oway”, and it's followed by “Out of Namakemono” (dunno) which sort of sounds like fire burning and maybe doors slamming before the tuba or trumpet or whatever comes in. I suppose it's possible this is all that daxophone, but never having heard one (or known of its existence until yesterday) I can't say.

Got a nice kind of classical chamber thing going, folky melody too. Next one has a kind of idea of pan pipes in it, very laidback, very gentle and very slow. More uptempo for the next one. Some sort of samples (?) make it sounds like Japanese K-pop or something. Cool. Quite funny. Next one's pretty cool too. Almost like the daxophone is laughing. Think this next one is the dax solo (assuming it's not been making all those sounds itself) with someone laughing or something, then the next one is sort of staccato with flutes or something, nice bassline, and is that tubular bells? Sorry, bad grammar: tubular bells are plural aren't they? Is THEY tubular bells? That's better. Well, is they? This one is really good, like a squeezebox ore something carrying the main melody while cows low in the background. Last one seems to be quite short, though the tracklisting said it were six minutes.

Still, overall quite enjoyable and not at all like torture. I feel like when Frownland recs me an album I know I'm going to hate and I end up not hating it.

Torture level: 0%