Music Banter - View Single Post - Rap in the 1960s
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2015, 05:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

I'll post more stuff if I find anything, but admittedly there isn't a massive amount of recorded rap before the '70s and '80s. I guess it's worth mentioning that Blowfly, the king of sleaze, claims that he recorded a rap song in 1965 called Rap Dirty, which he later rerecorded as the explicit Rapp Dirty and the mostly-instrumental flip side Blowfly's Rap over ten years later. However, as far as I know, no copies of the original version from '65 have ever surfaced, so it's not clear whether Blowfly was being honest or not. Most people nowadays assume that he was lying, but who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
It's not actually a rap song, but the drum break in the song, Amen Brother, released in 1969. The break starts @ ~ 1:26 and only last ~ six seconds. The drum break was performed by Gregory "G. C." Coleman of The Winstons. It eventually became one of the most sampled in hip hop and is used in a half dozen other genres/sub-genres.
Legendary. Remember when every single commercial for an action movie sampled that break? Good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy-Fi View Post
This is from 1966 but he started doing this in the 50's...
Nice! That was really groovy, and had a fun poetic feeling to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
I have nothing to contribute but this is pretty interesting.
It's all good!
-----------------------------
|---Deafbox Industries---|
-----------------------------
Oriphiel is online now   Reply With Quote