Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2015, 05:13 AM   #2993 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

And so to July, the best month of the year because it was the month that the momentous event of my birth was visited upon the world! So who released albums in this month, and is worth checking out? Anyone I know? Not really. So let's try these guys.

Hammer of the Witches --- Cradle of Filth --- 2015 (Nuclear Blast)

Introduction: I know very little about this band, beyond having heard their name, but I am intrigued to see that two of the band members' surnames are Filth (whether that's real or contrived I don't know). This is their eleventh album and features a new female singer with the brilliant name of Lindsay Schoolcraft!

Track-by-track

1. Walpurigs Eve: Which is I believe the night of the witches, when they all dance around and worship whatever. Good medieval style intro, short track, instrumental with violins, cellos, piano and a sort of vocal chorus , very dramatic and builds to
2. Yours immortally: Where the album really gets going with a breakneck guitar and hammering drums, the vocal a sort of shriek with another one growling, and it's all very heavy and extreme, making the likes of Motorhead look dull and plodding by comparison. Not much to recommend here I'm afraid. The guitar work is excellent and there's some nice orchestration; it gets a bit better towards the end, and Lindsay seems to make her first vocal contribution.
3. Enshrined in crematoria: A little bit grindier, then it kicks up in speed again. Basically more of the same I feel. Yeah, didn't get anything from that.
4. Deflowering the maidenhead, displeasuring the goddess: Now there's a long title! Good orchestral/keyboard intro with some nice guitar before it takes off into the stratosphere. Again some very good guitar, some of it quite melodic. I think this earns itself a Green.
5. Blackest magick in practice: Meh, it's okay but not anything that special.
6. The monstrous Sabbat (Summoning the coven): Now this is different. Very low-key, seems to be instrumental, I think that may be harp I'm hearing, plus orchestral backing. Like finding a fifty euro note among all your tenners. Lovely.
7. Hammer of the Witches: Big heavy marching tune, strident, arrogant, fearless, as the title would suggest. Very dramatic with great orchestration. Gets going then on punching guitar. Nice. Good turn by Lindsay Schoolgirl there on the vocals near the end. Lot of power as you would expect.
8. Right wing of the garden triptych: Oh look! She's taking lead vocals on this one. That's a nice change. Great cello work. Did I mention I love cellos? Some pretty good musical arrangements going on here, behind the growling vocals and shredding.
9. The vampyre at my side: This one is just all over the place. The vocals are so shrill it's almost like a screaming rant at times.
10. Onward Christian soldiers: I jsut can't get into this one at all, despite some really effective guitar melodies close to the end. It simply does nothing for me.
11. Blooding the hounds of Hell: Given the hard-as-fuck title, it's oddly got a lovely slow cello and violin intro, with steady, measured drumming and a church organ. Only just over two minutes and I assume an instrumental which closes the album almost as it opened.

Conclusion: It's the old problem. I never thought Cradle of Filth would be something I could get into, but you know, if it wasn't for those distracting mad vocals I could maybe give these guys a shot. There's certainly a lot of talent there, and a lot more melody than I had expected to find. Pretty impressed overall.