Music Banter - View Single Post - Modern Punk
Thread: Modern Punk
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tristan_Geoff
midnite roles around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stornock View Post
Thanks; will explore your list. What I find is that often the seemingly "authentic" sounding punk bands emulate 90's punk bands and were just late to the game. Other than the garage punk that you mention, there doesn't seem to be much of a punk scene among young people. Maybe, they've transferred their rebellious, anti-establishment energy toward rap and (god forbid) pop.
Punk scenes still going strong. Still loads of it coming out, not sure if your looking for it right. I frequent punknews.org, because they know their stuff about it and have spectacularly written reviews and editorials.

I think the main problem your facing is that you can't find the scene it's at, which is understandable. While there are tons of groups, there's no current trend other than garage revival, and Epi-Fat has been pretty low-key since the mid-2000's. I assure you that there are many great bands on these labels still, but they really aren't making an impact like in the late 90's.

One scene that does come to mind is "The Wave", a tight-knit group of post-hardcore bands. They don't really sound all that similar but they all play variants of the progressive hardcore sound. Included in this movement are La Dispute, Touche Amore, Make Do and Mend, and Pianos Become the Teeth. Title Fight, Tiger's Jaw, and Balance & Composure ate also seen as members of this group. It's not straightforward punk, but it's good nonetheless.

Skate Punk also has a huge following still, I included some of those in the above post, but also see The Fest line-up from recent years. The way I see it, punk is more or less an extension of college radio at this point, so you mainly see these bands popping up around college scenes (like they usually have in the past)

Before I forget, check out Edward in Venice as well.
Tristan_Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote