Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #3040 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

It's not an avant-garde album, it's an avant-garde metal album. Do you think if someone else recommended it, you would come to the same conclusion? The metal on that album is pretty undeniable from my perspective, but maybe it's the jazz elements throwing you off (yes, there can be both!) Remember, metal can vary quite a bit, from songs like this

to this

to this

Avant-garde metal bands generally have a sound that differs from whatever else you'd hear in the metal world while holding on to a metal vocabulary. If they didn't, they wouldn't be called avant-garde.

Lastly, the only track with guitar on it is Chthonian. The rest are just saxophonist Luca T. Mai playing his horn through effects with Pupillo on the bass and Battaglia on drums (ok and occasionally Patton hops on).

Anyway, that was pretty much the reaction I expected, but I thought I'd be seeing some green interspersed throughout there though. I'm a little confused on how you're reviewing these though, I didn't know that you would be rating them based off of how metal you thought they were, but rather that you'd do it by how good you thought the music would be.

Last edited by Frownland; 10-28-2015 at 08:46 PM.
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote