Music Banter - View Single Post - Places You Go
Thread: Places You Go
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #49 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
Lucky you! Ontario is truly the land of lakes--we have one third of the world's fresh water--but mosquitoes and black flies can suck all the enjoyment out of a hike.

Animals can be problematic too--I've encountered bears in the past. Once, I found a fresh deer carcass, evidently wolves' work. There was thick grey fur and blood all over the hiking trail. Needless to say, I left in a hurry! On the flip side, I've seen a lot of harmless wildlife, and that's always fun. Last winter, it was eight owls--a personal record.
^ Wow! It sounds like you have to take hiking a lot more seriously in Canada; I also would not like to encounter wolves, bears or mosquitoes.
Quote:

Most northern would be somewhere in Germany or Northern Ontario, most southern would be Florida or California, most eastern would be Prague, and most western would be British Columbia and Washington state.
Prague is a long way from you home patch, Pet_Sounds. I wonder what you were doing there? Everyone says it's a great city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Most northern was in Föhr, an island in the North Sea, most southern was Tunisia, most western was somewhere in Spain, most eastern was Moscow.
Congrats,grindy! With Moscow you win the prize for going furthest into Eastern Europe.

For some reason, I imagined you would´ve gone furthur north though - perhaps in search of strange Scandanvian music or something.
Fohr looks a nice place, but this place, 20 miles north of Loch Ness, beats it by about four degrees of latitude:-

^ What the photo doesn´t show is how windy it is; bleak, bland and windy is how I remember my stay on the Moray Firth coast.

That´s a really impressive portfolio, Mr. Charlie, with some spectacular pics! I often dreamed of going to Nepal or India but never quite had the courage. From what I´ve read about it, your description of India is a very neat summary of a very complex country.

Most southerly for me is Costa Rica, which I was rather disappointed with. The most exciting thing I recall, even though it was in a car, is crossing a very significant watershed. You climb and climb for an hour with the Atlantic to your back, then at last the gradient levels out and changes, and you have started the long descent to the Pacific. I think what made it special for me was that it was already dusk on the Atlantic side, but as we crossed the ridge we came back into sunshine again and could see the sun as it set way off in the low hazy distance.