Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #3058 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I'm not disputing your opinion on the album, just asserting that it is, in fact, metal. You are allowed to not like the record, although I gathered from your review that you didn't find the album to be (entirely) dull and boring. I'm just curious, since you're not rating things on "how metal they are," how would you have enjoyed it under other circumstances? What makes this context different?
I think that if you had recced it for, say "Love or Hate?" or even "The Torture Chamber" (I'm not forgetting you have to endure Bon Jovi, by the way!) then I might have judged it differently but I don't think I'd have liked it any more. I just found it generally (if I remember, head's a bit wooly with lack of sleep and being cooped up in a hospital for too many hours a day) boring and not to have much variety. This is what fails to chime with me on the likes of Dopesmoker or that Om record: if there's little change all the way through I get bored and I don't see the point. Not just with metal. I mean, you could listen to JMJ's Oxygene and a lot of it is the same but it does change, and change quite radically, throughout the album. If it was all the same chords or phrase all the way through I'd be bored with it. I'm trying to think of other examples but nothing will come at the moment. The point is, for me to enjoy music it generally must move me (for good or ill) but this one just bored me and I had very little to say about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
The truth does indeed hurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
So... did I, or did I not rec Danzig to you? I could swear I had.
I don't think so. I had to delete your original message but I don't remember the name coming up at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isbjørn View Post
I agree with this wholeheartedly.
Also, superb new avvy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
On Goatsnake

They're definitely a doom band in part, but they're also a stoner metal band. Stoner metal is a doom-adjacent genre, with bands often -- very often -- crossing over from one to the other until stoner metal bands are often as much doom as stoner -- Electric Wizard is an excellent example.

Think of stoner metal as being Black Sabbath's "Iron Man", "Black Sabbath", and "Electric Funeral" (doom metal) vs. their material from Master of Reality (stoner metal): not necessarily as slow and plodding, but equally riff-based, and with an often more rock 'n' roll aesthetic.

This is why I wanted you to listen to Sleep's Holy Mountain, even though you didn't like Dopesmoker, as Holy Mountain was very much a stoner doom metal album -- basically a Black Sabbath tribute album made of original songs rather than covers -- whereas Dopesmoker was almost pure doom, bordering on drone, with the stoner influence being much more in the background.

Listening to Holy Mountain is really like listening to a different band. I'm pretty sure the band even used another band member on vocals.
Okay, all of that makes sense.
Quote:
I'm going to rec you Holy Mountain whenever you open recs on your Love/Hate thread. Whether or not you love it, I have no doubt that you'll like it infinitely more than Dopesmoker.
Great idea, though I don't know when recs will be opening again.
Quote:
I don't know that there is a geographical scene based on stoner metal (though the American South is kind of a hotbed for stoner, since rednecks like to smoke weed), but it would be a good genre for you to explore for the next Metal Month. If so then...

1. Sleep - Holy Mountain
2. Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
3. Down - NOLA
4. Trouble - Trouble
5. Melvins - Stoner Witch (possibly Houdini, but Stoner Witch is more eclectic)

****, that reminds me that I never did a New Orleans sludge metal list...

1. Eyehategod - Take as Needed for Pain (you'll hate it, no questions asked, but it's required listening for NOLA sludge)
2. Corrosion of Conformity - America's Volume Dealer (band originally from Texas, but by this point their sound was sludge/stoner, as they had taken on a member originally from the New Orleans sludge scene)
3. Down - NOLA (if you don't do stoner metal)
4. Crowbar - Crowbar
5. Soilent Green - Sewn Mouth Secrets

If you hadn't already listened to and not liked Acid Bath's When the Kite String Pops then I'd red you that one.
This I will consider.