Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2015, 05:37 PM   #3069 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

And so we come, finally, to the end of Metal Month III.

When I began this feature originally, back in 2013, which seems an age ago now, my intention was to dedicate one week to a short exploration of Heavy Metal, something I was calling Metal Week. I quickly realised that that would never do though; after realising that I could get very little done in such a short time, I then decided that giving over a whole month was a better prospect, and the concept of Metal Month was born.

Although looking back on it now, it was laughably loose and with little or no structure (basically a bunch of album reviews taking in as many subgenres as I could), it was such a success and I enjoyed it so much that I decided to do it all again the next year. Now here we are, in the third year of Metal Month, and it's just getting better and better.

While there are of course those who have not the slightest interest in Metal and completely ignore this special, I think it's fair to say that the Metal community on Music Banter tends to look forward to it and usually takes part one way or another. This year we've done a lot; from expanding sections like "When Worlds Collide" to streamlining the "Freshly Forged" section into a more chronological format, and even trying out new things with "Heavy Metal Honeyz", to say nothing of Batty's attempts to break me in his Torture Chamber. We've delved into the discography of another artiste with whom I was less than familiar, and have learned about more interesting subgenres.

We've had the traditional annual knockdown fight as someone tries to convince me their music is worth listening to, and in the best tradition of heavy metal it's all ended in a fistfight, thankfully only verbal. No doubt there'll be another next year.

In many ways, this year has been the most difficult Metal Month I have ever run; as most of you know, my sister was taken very ill last week, and between spending most of my day at the hospital, in addition to feeling under the weather myself, it's a minor miracle it got finished at all! A lesser man (or a less obsessed one anyway) might have decided to end it early, but I don't like to leave things unfinished and so struggled on, even though most of the time I just wanted to fall into bed and draw the covers over my head. I'm glad now that I persevered though, as it would have been a waste of so much planning and effort. It's fair to say, however, that Metal Month III has left me emotionally, physically and mentally exhausted.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed it and found something to interest you over this last month. Now all that remains is to unplug the guitars, disassemble the amp stacks and begin to take down the stage as Metal Month III draws to a close. Please drive safely on your way home. Thank you for your company over this month and we'll hopefully see you all back here in 2016. Metal Month IV is already in the planning stages.

For now though it's a well-earned (but short) rest before I launch into my next project. Thanks again for supporting Metal Month III. Whether you contributed or commented, or just read what I wrote; whether you took an active interest or just dipped in occasionally; whether your comments were helpful, pithy or even hostile, whether I made you laugh, cry, or pound your computer keyboard in angry frustration, all your reactions, good or bad, are what help to make Metal Month what it has become.

So thanks for your support, and here's to 2016!
Rock on!

I'll leave the final word to Freddie...