Music Banter - View Single Post - I'm going on a solo trip in the Spring
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
Psy-Fi
Aficionado of Fine Filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo View Post
So, I have decided that I needed a change in my life. A Big one. My lease ends April first and I'm not staying in this apartment. I decided I'm taking three months (or more) off and travelling. Here's the very raw and very beginning of my trip...

Going out to Colorado for a week to visit a friend who is joining the Navy.

Going to California to visit my best friend for a week or so.

Drive with said friend to Portland for a few days.

Fly from Portland to Iceland. Spend a few days there.

Fly to England.

Backpack Europe. I have no idea where I want to go yet.

I'm saving money for the next five months. I know I can get to ten grand but I'm going to save as much as possible.

Anybody ever do something like this before? Travel advice? Is ten grand enough? Where should I go. I'm very new with this and I want to do it right.
The last time I did something similar, it was 1996. I stayed at B&B's instead of hostels or campgrounds. My expenses were for lodging, rail/subway/bus tickets, food & drink, museums/attractions and entertainment. I got by on $50 to $60 dollars (US) a day (not including airfare) which would be the equivalent of $75 to $90 in 2015 dollars. Hostels & campgrounds would've saved me some money but I prefer a private room with (usually) a private shower/bath & toilet. You should be fine with 10 grand over 3 months (including airfare.)

ATM's are your best bet for convenience and to automatically get the best exchange rates for whatever amount you need to withdraw wherever you are. I'd recommend having a credit card or some other form of debit card as an emergency backup in case your primary card is lost or stolen. I once had my card eaten by a bank machine (on a Friday afternoon, no less) and had to use Western Union to have some money transferred to me because the card was irretrievable. I had some traveler's checks with me also, but their $ amount wasn't enough to cover the rest of my trip before returning home the following week and it would've taken 2 weeks at the time, to get a replacement card sent to me.

Make sure you bring some quality footwear. Improper/substandard footwear can make you miserable very quickly and slow you down or possibly keep you off your feet for a while and put a dent in your itinerary.

I saved a lot on meals by getting my food at supermarkets and outdoor farmer's markets most of the time.

Probably some more I can add here later, when I think of it and have time.

She's a Brick House
Psy-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote