Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Punk Albums.
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2015, 11:46 PM   #81 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
... after the Ramones toured the UK.
So far as I know the English scene was already in full swing before then.

Quote:
Joey Ramones disliked the Ramones being called "Punk." Malcolm McLaren really wanted the Sex Pistols to be known as "New Wave." Richard Lloyd said that Television wasn't "proto Punk," that that word didn't even exist back then (in the 70s). I just see it as music evolving over time and then someone in the industry wants to slap a label on it. It's almost as if they had a new genre and needed bands for it. And the Sex Pistols was a prefab band made to order to fit the bill. I am not disputing their place in music history but I don't see them starting something that was already in the process.

The Dictators was that band that had that sound that was very close to sounding Punk before Punk exploded in '77 to a very small fraction of the population cause most people were into cheesy Pop, and Disco. The Dictators were influential to many bands in the Punk scene. Even Steve Jones was a fan of them.
Except it was the British scene that brought punk to the world (yes, even the clothing style they took from Television). If it wasn't for the Sex Pistols and the Clash becoming as popular as they did, then "punk" would just have been a bunch of disparate art rock scenes with a fraction of the influence of punk.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote