Music Banter - View Single Post - New Grunge Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2015, 09:42 PM   #35 (permalink)
CoNtrivedNiHilism
Because I Am, I Can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
Bush walked the line between grunge and alternative and they did it really well but because of that they're not really the most iconic grunge band one can think of. When i think of grunge the first bands i think of are Mudhoney and The Melvins.
That's all true.

Bush is pegged as this trend hopping, genre hopping band to stay current. So they pretty much had no originality to call theirs, so to speak, or at least that is what some say that never liked the band in the first place. At their core however. Bush was very much a grunge band, just not your traditional flavor, and it wasn't a bad thing how they approached that genre of music either.

But a lot of people don't like that. A lot of people don't take Bush seriously. I get it. It's all fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuy Grungeman View Post
Post-grunge may take elements from it, but the construction and lyrical/vocal stylistics steer much closer to alternative.
I don't know if I am agreeing, or disagreeing with you about this. I listen to the lyrics in a Bush song, and in comparison to say Nirvana, the difference isn't all that much. Blah blah, Kurt wrote better music than Gavin Rossdale, so we can skip that part of this discussion.

There was no single band during that period of music that wrote the same kind of lyrics. Layne was abstract, dark, emotive, observant in his lyrical approach. Kurt was more direct, abrasive, but he still wrote in his own way. Chris Cornell is the same. None of those three wrote alike. So why say that post-grunge was less grunge because of they way the lyrics were wrote and the vocals sounded? Because there was plenty of variety or difference in grunge generally speaking to set bands apart from one another. There was not one general path a grunge band took when they wrote their lyrics, vocals. You knew it was grunge by how it sounded as a complete package. If the writers in the bands all wrote the same. I would have gotten bored.

So I guess I am disagreeing with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BastardofYoung View Post
Post-Grunge to me is more just a style of alternative rock that was branded as such after the death of Kurt Cobain to fill the gap. Bush and Silverchair both had elements of grunge, but kinda took a way the punk influences, in favor of a more stadium rock alternative sound.
Probably.

But I know the Bush records by heart, and I hear enough punk in all of them, save for the newer two records just put out with the past five years. I never listened to too much Silverchair so I can't say anything there.