Music Banter - View Single Post - New Grunge Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #39 (permalink)
CoNtrivedNiHilism
Because I Am, I Can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aux-in View Post
Saw the thread title and got excited for a second that there was going to be new grunge being posted.

Layne's the GOAT. Sang from the soul, with live performances that sounded just as good as the album versions. He could hit the high notes without cracking. Chris Cornell is great too. I hear a lot of people talk about his range, and his voice is very distinctive, but I don't hear a GOAT range in it. Maybe I'm missing something.

- Bush: post-grunge
- Silverchair: grunge

Yes.
Sometimes I wonder about what could have been if Layne hadn't died. I think Alice In Chains would be mega super stars by this point. The guy they have now, William I think is his name. He does a good job, and their two new albums they have done with him I liked...but those albums both lacked that power and impact that Layne gave Alice In Chains in the early days. William just can't offer that to the fans, but it's clear that he really tries and wants to.

Chris Cornell is one of a kind. But some do hate how his voice sounds though. I think that I sort of understand why that is, because even though I consider him one of the best from that period of music, his voice does get tiring for me as well. King Animal, that was a pretty nice return album from Soundgarden.

I'm beating a dead horse here. But you bring up Bush again. Post-Grunge, Grunge, whatever. Bush walked more than just one line, and that is partly why they were both successful, but overlooked too. I adore the bands music. But even I can admit that they never did put out an album that would stand out as a definitive album for grunge music. They had one or more big albums, and then maybe one or two more moderately successful releases as well, but never anything that would give them any sort of recognition as one of the hugely influential grunge bands like Pearl Jam or Soundgarden were or are still. I want the original Bush lineup though. Give me that lineup from Sixteen Stone. I'm missing that Nigel Pulsford magic with his guitar.

Silverchari? Meh. I honestly never paid a lot of attention to them. I heard some good songs, and usually that prompts me to check out a bands discography...I guess that with Silverchair I've just been lazy to do that, and I may never be bothered, fairly sure I wouldn't be missing out on much.