Music Banter - View Single Post - The Democratic Primaries
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 11:07 PM   #88 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
I think there is a big difference, most notably on economic policy. It's not a coincidence that free trade and offshoring have continued unabated President after President, though in fairness Obama has given a run at things.

There is no big difference between Bush and Clinton on economic policy other than their view on social programs, neither of them will slap tariffs on foreign goods or close tax loopholes for offshoring, or attempt to protect manufacturing plants from leaving the US.

You can implement all the Rand Paul policies you want, but if all the good jobs leave the US, your going to be F'n broke, hence the current economic strain on the rust belt States.

The average American is making a lot less than they were in the 1970's and the cost of everything from property to food and commodities has gone up and up, which is why Trump and Sanders are popular.
That all amounts to **** if Trump has no idea how to govern. Just because he says things you like, or at least that you like better than the other guys, doesn't mean that he has any capability to implement them.

This is another thing that bugs me about the way people vote: they do so either by how likable a candidate is, or whether or not they like what the candidate claims to stand for, but at no point does anyone seem to consider whether the person they're voting for is actually competent to govern -- unless of course they're just trying to argue against someone they're already against (like the Republicans against Obama, or the Dems against Palin.)
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote