Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2015, 05:11 AM   #1996 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: A Love Supreme
Artiste: John Coltrane
Genre: Jazz
Familiarity: Zero; obviously I know he's a jazz giant, but I'm not a fan of jazz (quelle surprise!)

1. A love supreme, part 1 --- Acknowledgement: Obviously I can see where Clarence Clemmons got his inspiration, as this opening sounds very much like something the E Street Band might do. Great piano, and the horn doesn't annoy me as it usually does. Yet. OH, here come some vocals. Well, the title basically repeated. Not sure that was necessary; doesn't add anything to the track.
2. A love supreme, part II --- Resolution: Kind of flowed in from track one without me realising it. It's fine but like most jazz I'm just pretty bored with it. Probably unlikely ever to change. I know this is supposed to be his greatest ever album and I can see why. It just doesn't move me.
3. A love supreme, part III --- Pursuance: Oh no! A drum solo! This could really finish me off! This track is ten minutes long! Say the solo doesn't run for the whole thing.... No, there's the piano and sax coming back in now, thank god. Only two minutes in. Nice piano runs. Horn is beginning to get on my nerves now. Okay, nice bass solo in about the eighth minute. Pretty sweet. Goes right to the end of the track.
4. A love supreme, part IV--- Psalm: Nice rolling drums, kind of cinematic, and the sax is more laidback and relaxed, some lovely cymbals whispering. That was probably the best track on it. Quite enjoyed that.

End result: I'm certainly not going to trash such a loved album, and I know sod-all about jazz anyway, but this is kind of the reason it never resonates with me. Mostly it just seems to go on in pretty much the same vein. I'm sure it doesn't, and is all very technically well played and composed, but it just as ever leaves me disinterested and cold. I just can't get excited about this the way a lot of people do, and it was a relief when it was over.

So, Love or Hate? So all I can do is shrug and give it a very cautious Like. Sorry.