Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #2000 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Remission
Artiste: Skinny Puppy
Genre: Industrial
Familiarity: Zero

1. Smothered hope: I don't know much about industrial music, so this could go either way. Nice kind of boppy, electronic opening. Vocals are maybe synthesised, through a vocoder? Very eighties new wave thing about the synths. Dark but not cold. Vocal's a bit manic.
2. Glass houses: I say very eighties, and then notice it was released in 1984! But it's very representative of a lot of the more experimental electronic music that was happening then that I looked down my nose at. This is not bad, though to be fair I don't see anything that terribly different about it from all the other new wave bands that were clogging up my metal airwaves at the time...
3. Incision: This sounds very Bone Machine, so I wonder if Waits is/was a Skinny Puppy fan? The taped voices at the end don't do anything for me though.
4. Far too frail: This sounds very OMD, or Echo and the Bunnymen, or something I've heard anyway. Bops along nicely. Human League, that's it: “Sound of the crowd”.
5. Film: Meh, interesting but relying a little too much on the taped effects. Tune was okay.
6. Manwhole: Same complaint really. Good rhythm set up later.
7. Icebreaker: I can certainly hear the industrial here. Not sure I really like it that much though.
8. Solvent: Has a nice kind of boppy beat to it which sort of belies the snarly vocal. Good synthwork.
9. Sleeping beast: Faster, with some effects. Otherwise not terribly interesting really. Far too long for what it is.
10. Glass out: Yeah it's all right but it's just not grabbing me really.
11. Brap...: And a short one to end. And we're out.

End result: Really not the kind of thing I'd listen to out of preference. Not the worst I've ever heard certainly, and I'm sure these guys are great for what they do, but just not my sort of thing at all.

So, Love or Hate? Have to be a Meh really.