Music Banter - View Single Post - The Refugee crisis
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 10:19 AM   #92 (permalink)
John Wilkes Booth
Account Disabled

let me make it simple for you:

it is fine to draw on insight from living in the place to inform your opinion, and it's fine to cite your own experience in an argument, although this is anecdotal evidence and as such comes secondary to things that you can cite an actual source for.

this isn't what you are doing. you are operating under the false assumption that living there makes you an authority on the subject, and that you don't need to back up your arguments with any facts or reason.

here is the problem with this: you're not the only person who lives in the UK. and you're not the first person from the UK i've ever spoken to. and at the end of the day... you're just some guy on the internet. i have no inherent reason to believe anything you say. you could be full of **** for all i know. so i judge what you say based on the merit of your words, not based on your self appointed authority on the topic.

so i take what you say with a grain of salt. just as i do the vice news videos. because you are just as likely to have an ideology and an agenda. and really you haven't demonstrated to me that you really have anything meaningful to say on the topic.

also, i've met other people from the UK who differ from your point of view. when i tell you this, you will just dismiss them as biased the same way that you will dismiss me. because it doesn't align with your own point of view. similarly, when i inform them of your assertions, they will dismiss you as biased. see the dilemma, my friend?
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote