Music Banter - View Single Post - The Refugee crisis
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #97 (permalink)
John Wilkes Booth
Account Disabled

^alright, maybe violent crime isn't the best term. that doesn't negate the stats i did provide, does it? i'm not saying they're conclusive but you seem determined to dismiss them either way. i was initially referring to an article i saw a long time ago that i can't find. i think it had to do with violent crime. but basically, once again, the only reason i was bringing up the crime rates was as part of the assertion that importing large numbers of poor immigrants usually = importing poverty and crime. the kinds of crimes involved are really a secondary detail.

but once again these stats are mainly used to demonstrate that criminal elements exist in london etc yet they have a much lower homicide rate because they don't have guns. it runs contrary to the common talking point that if people didn't have guns they would murder just as often with other weapons like knives, bats, etc. usually areas that have high crime in the states likewise have a high murder rate... but in london this isn't the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
I'm a first generation eastern-european immigrant living in Germany.
I've grown up with fellow eastern-europeans, as well as arabs, turks and africans, all in a very diverse neighbourhood in our very diverse city.
So I'd say I know a thing or two about european multiculturalism first-hand.
I pretty much agree with what JWB says, a huge part of the problems faced from immigration are problems fuelled by cultural differences and it seems weird how people always try to downplay that, just because it makes us uncomfortable.
Sure, JWB is being edgy again here and there, but most of what he said in this thread is spot on.
i can't seem to escape being edgy... it's just in my blood i think. cause i honestly haven't said anything in this thread for the sake of controversy.

and i'd add that i don't have first hand experience with european multiculturalism... so what i say about it is admittedly based on 2nd hand information coupled with my first hand experience with american multiculturalism. because there are similar issues here. minus the religious aspect, for the most part.

but there are some basic things i've seen which would make me nervous if i were over there. like the fact that the muslim community there is producing guys like anjem choudary, who is given a platform to preach radical islam and openly advocate the subversion of the existing system in favor of a shariah based caliphate. or stats that say a worrying % of british muslims hold somewhat radical views. Many British Muslims Put Islam First - CBS News

do i think they will get their caliphate...? not really... but my line of thinking is why on earth would you want to import this kind of idiocy into your country?

and contrary to what some think, i don't have a beef with muslims in general. the muslim immigrants in the states are not an issue, and most of the muslims in europe probably aren't either. but there are too many extremists to not find that worrying.

in comparison... we have a problem in the united states with homegrown christian extremism... if these people were largely coming from immigrant communities and the religious radicalism in general was a reflection of the cultures they were imported from, yea i think that would be an issue. unfortunately they're from here so we're stuck with them.

Last edited by John Wilkes Booth; 11-11-2015 at 11:40 AM.
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote