Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #312 (permalink)
Key

I'm sure everybody and their mother knows by now that Fallout 4 has been released. Hell, it's been pretty much what everyone has been talking about for the last week. With good reason, of course. But yes, it's been released, and I have about 5 hours of pure gameplay time put into it right now, which is great considering I've only been playing at night due to work. I actually got it as soon as it released as well, so I was ready to go the minute the clock struck 9pm. Anyway, let's talk about the game for a little bit, shall we?

So, what is Fallout 4? It's a sequel to Fallout 3, are you dumb? Just kidding. It's obviously a step forward in the Fallout series, which for whatever reason, a lot of people disagree with. It's only been out for a few days, and I can't even begin to tell you how many negative reviews i've seen about the game already. "Oh, the graphics are bad" "Oh, I can't wait until modders fix this game" "Oh, it's like a step in the backwards direction". I have a few words for those people: "shut the **** up and be happy you got a game this great." Yes, Fallout 4, to me, exceeds all expectations I had for it. With the hype that it built up ever since a full reveal at E3, I really feel like this release was worth the wait and the hype was worth it. Everything to the perk system to the way the game feels to the graphics are all top notch. I always want to mention that for me personally, I had absolutely no trouble playing the game as soon as it launched. There have been times with other games where the minute the game is released, the game is broken to the point that you can't even play it until a patch is released. Bethesda must've done a number of tests to be sure that this game actually worked on released, and it does so with flying colors. I wasn't too sure how I felt about the game being set in Boston as I don't really have a lot of knowledge about the place like I do with Washington DC from Fallout 3, but they have done a good job to make sure that even for someone that doesn't know the area of Boston too well, it's still a fun experience to walk around and find loot and kill baddies. I'll talk about some more of the changes that were made in this game that do make the game better in some ways. In the simplest way I can put it right now, I'm having a blast with this game and I strongly urge you to ignore any negative feedback regarding the game, because it's fantastic.

So, onto some of the noticeable changes in Fallout 4. For one, the new VATS system is quite good. In Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, the VATS system would freeze time, allowing you to aim your shots accordingly and take out an enemy with one or two headshots right away. In Fallout 4, the VATS system no longer freezes time. It now slows down time, but still gives the enemy a chance to come after you and hit you. I actually like this change a lot, because it doesn't make VATS an "easy way out" as it felt in the previous games. Another change that I really like is how radiation poisoning works. In Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, I wasn't entirely sure how the radiation poisoning worked in terms of your health and ability to keep your HP up, etc. In Fallout 4, the radiation poisoning actually effects your HP to the point that it lowers your max HP bar until you take some radaway. Again, a great change and one that really incentivises staying away from anything with even the smallest amount of radiation. Sometimes it can be tough, especially when you're desperately looking to loot a house and it's covered in radiation. But still a good change nonetheless. There's still a few smaller changes to the overall gameplay mechanics, etc, but i'll let you see those for yourself.

As it stands right now, and even though i'm only 5 hours into the game, I think Bethesda have really truly outdone themselves with this release. Obviously, it's going to be one of those things where half the fanbase will do nothing but complain about the game, while the other half will be enjoying the **** out of the game. I'll say it again, I have had absolutely no problems with the game. Every new thing I find in the game, I find myself just sitting back for a second and saying "damn, that's cool as ****" then continuing to play even more. I strongly suggest picking this up, even at full retail price, especially if you've been curious about whether or not this game is good. It's great, maybe even greater than great.