Music Banter - View Single Post - What has the world come to?!
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kashmir86
Traveler Of Time & Space

I think it is worse, but not dead. The bands from that past that are still strugglin to stay alive, like the Rolling Stones and Robert Plant, are getting pretty bad, and the new bands that are emerging are pretty bad for the most part IMO. I'm not much for punk rock, so none of those bands excite me much. Metal nowadays just annoys the hell outta me, I can't stand the screaming and the overall noise. It seems to me that nowadays rock music doesnt typically have an intro that lasts more than about 8 seconds, and there is rarely a solo, and if so its maybe about 4 or 5 seconds long in between the chorus and the next verse. Too much of the music sounds the same to me, it seems that everyone is sort of copying each other's sound to be more successful, bands used to be much more diverse and unique IMO, and I think that music over the years has lost that quality. I think there might be a correlation between the creativity and talent going down and the drug use going down since the 60s and 70s, there's no way of really denying that I guess. There are some groups out there trying to do their own thing still, and I think that's neat. I happen to really like Audioslave, they have cool openings, kick ass vocals, wicked guitar work, and holy **** solos too. They are what IMO a true rock band should be, and they are one of the only left around. I like tool, but they aren't doing much these days really, and APC falls far short of Tool IMO, especially just recently with their newest album. There's other bands that are new that I like, Modest Mouse and 311, but the same sort of goes for those groups I like their earlier stuff better than the latter. I don't like rap, which is a newer genre that has emerged, so that doesn't help things IMO, I don't find it to be an acceptable form of music, but that's just me please don't murder me over this forum for my opinion. All in all, I think music has hit a low, but that just means it can only go up from here. I think its cool to see more and more younger people getting into older rock music, that only goes to show that music has a good chance of going back into the state it was 30+ years ago. Also you may be able to make a relation between Vietnam and the war we are currently fighting, and wars usually produce strong protest music, which represents much of the older music of the time period I like the most.
An actor out on loan
Riders on the storm"

"How many ears must one man have
Before he can hear people cry?
How many deaths will it take till he knows
That too many people have died?"

"Diamond rope silver chain
Pretty noose is pretty pain
And I don’t like what you got me hanging from"
Kashmir86 is offline   Reply With Quote