Music Banter - View Single Post - Paris attacks again
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2015, 11:15 AM   #36 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
Quote:
According to reports, Hollande was at the soccer game and was evacuated from the stadium soon after reports of the attacks emerged.

"We will lead the fight. It will be ruthless," Hollande said outside the concert hall shortly after security forces had stormed the building, ending the siege.

It'll be interesting to see if this means that the French government's response will be even more severe. I imagine the highest ranking government official being in that kind of danger will make him take this particularly personally. I'd be surprised if French nationalists didn't gain even more influence.

To say nothing of the rest of Europe for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
This just confuses me. Just yesterday I think almost like 50 were killed in Beirut, large amounts of people die from things like this on an almost daily basis and nobody says anything about it really... then it happens at a concert in a first world country and it's like the planet stops spinning. It's creepy to me. Where is this level of outrage the other hundred thousand times this happens?

I guess that's why I have a hard time taking reactions on forums seriously. I think it's mostly just people hamming it up. Someone will get all mad that someone said something that wasn't 100% supportive even though those same people usually say absolutely nothing.

Western countries have little to no cultural connection with that part of the world. When something happens in "our neck of the woods" it just feels a lot closer to home. Tribalism, basically. Not a good thing, but at least it makes us care about some parts of the world other than our own little slice of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
U2 has apparently cancelled their upcoming concert in Paris.
At least something good came of this tragedy.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote