Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2015, 12:18 AM   #317 (permalink)
Key

I know i've already done a "first impressions" of Fallout 4, but I left out quite a bit of stuff that I still want to talk about. Obviously i'm not going to not talk about it.

As it stands right now, I have about 10 hours of gameplay. If you look closely, you'll see that just last night, when I posted my "first impressions" on this game, I only had but a few hours in this game. To get to the amount that I have in such a quick time is just enough to show you that this game is truly as remarkable as people say it is, and i'm here to tell you why.

Fallout 4 has really brought a lot of new things to the equation when it comes to Fallout games in general, and Bethesda have really done their best to make this game as amazing as it can be. With some small bugs and frame issues here and there, it's evident that even though there are some technical issues that need to be looked into, the game itself is remarkable. As i've been walking around the Commonwealth as they like to call it in game, I can't help but notice that they've really tried to emphasize on every little detail in the game, all the way down to how the reflections look in the water. There's obviously been a lot of thought and trial and error put into the game to make it stand out as one of the best games this company has released. And yes, I know that some of the small bugs or lag issues can be frustrating, but let's keep in mind that the game hasn't even been out for a full week, so we're bound to run into some small issues. Luckily, there's been no sign of any game breaking issues that i've seen, and that's always a plus. So, you're asking, what about this game is so great? Well, i'll lay out a few of the key things that I think should be mentioned as some of the best things about this game, and yes....POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD. You've been warned.

First off, let's talk about the music. We're all familiar by now that Bethesda are no stranger to making sure that the music in a Fallout game is nothing short of amazing. Hell, they aren't a stranger of that in any of their games. Fallout specifically has been known for having some of the most interesting soundtracks that a company has ever done, and that does continue to be the case with Fallout 4. They have gone a bit of a different route with this game though, but it works so perfectly. As you're walking through the Commonwealth, you'll be hearing in the background what sounds like you're sitting in a theater listening to classical music, not to mention that there is an actual classic radio station that you can tune your Pip Boy too, but the game background music in general is just amazing, and surprisingly fitting with the environment surrounding you. But on top of that, one of the best pieces of music you will hear in the game is right when you start the game. Yes, the intro screen. If you've played Fallout 4, you know exactly what i'm talking about. If you're curious, this is what i'm talking about...

So. ****ing. Good.

Next up, I want to talk about the heavy influence that they've taken from Skyrim in this game. As you're going through the game, you'll find that if you've put plenty of hours into Skyrim, you'll notice a lot of similarities in Fallout 4 with the way you craft items, cook your food, get your hair cut, and things like that. Even the way you walk around in third person is heavily influenced by Skyrim, but I really don't see that as a bad thing considering Skyrim is a fantastic game to take influence from. A lot of people in the fanbase have expressed their distaste for this because they feel that it just makes Fallout 4 feel like a Skyrim with guns mod, but hey, both games are their games so they can do whatever the **** they want. It works, and i'm impressed that they've decided to take some of those influences and use them in a way that really works well in a Fallout game. So basically, if you've enjoyed Skyrim, and you were just waiting for a Skyrim with guns mod, this is your game, but it's so much more than that too.

Lastly, let's talk about companions. So, Fallout 4 takes a wonderful part of what Fallout: New Vegas had and that is having the ability to have companions with you. There is one small change to that though. From what i've seen so far, you can only have 1 companion with you at a time, whereas in NV, you were allowed 2 at a time. I suppose it makes things more balanced or whatever so that you're not taking on 1 ghoul with 3 people, or whatever. Anyway, the companions in this game are so amazing to the point that it's almost impossible to choose one to have on your team. Hell, they start you off in the game by giving you one of the best companions that the game has to offer, and yes...I mean the dog. I've gone through the game far enough where I have access to 3 other companions, and I have yet to be able to separate myself from the dog. He's so useful in a large number of ways, and I don't see myself sending him away anytime soon. Plus, I just find it nice to have a loyal pet by your side as you travel through the wastelands of Boston. I'm sure i'll give the other companions a go at some point.

My final verdict for Fallout 4 is that although there are some evident small bugs and a few things that need to be fixed, I still think that even after 10 hours, and perhaps even after 100 hours of gameplay, this game may very well be one of the best games Bethesda has ever released. And it's really gonna be difficult for me to choose which game I find to be the game of the year this year especially with this release, because god damn there have been some great releases this year. So I really can't stress enough that you should give Fallout 4 a chance even if you're unwilling to do so based on the negative reviews it's been receiving. Honestly, I don't understand the negative reviews at all. It's as if the people writing those reviews aren't even playing the same game that i'm playing.