Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #2065 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Queen of the Clouds
Artiste: Tove Lo
Genre: Electropop
Familiarity: Zero

1. The sex (intro): It's a six second intro. Spoken. What can I do with that?
2. My gun: Decent enough pop tune; don't see any of the darkness she's supposed to be famous for. “The saddest girl in Sweden”? Not here anyway. Fairly generic I have to say, nothing special.
3. Like em young: Started promisingly with some dark piano but then took off into another meh pop song.
4. Talking body: Yeah, again it's okay but I don't see anything special about it. Still don't see this darkness they're all talkng about.
5. Timebomb: This might be better. Sounds like a Coldplayesque piano ballad maybe. No, not a ballad; it's kicking up now. Still, it does sound a whole lot better than anything else that's gone before.
6. The love (interlude): Another few seconds of talk.
7. Moments: Yeah this isn't bad either. Kind of downtempo though with a good sense of energy.
8. The way that I am: Another good one, again downtempo with some nice piano.
9. Got love: More upbeat and uptempo; getting better. Great hook in this.
10. Not on drugs: Good powerful song. Contains the album title. Getting a little more into this now.
11. The pain (interlude): And another spoken few seconds.
12. Thousand miles: Going back to the sort of downtempo songs with a punch in them. Percussion on this is really good.
13. Habits (Stay high): Meh, not mad about this one. Just not feeling it.
14. This time around: This one's better; back to the downtempo for the most part.
15. Run on love: And this one's more uptempo. Nice rippling keys.
16. Love ballad: Interestingly, not a ballad. Decent closer.

End result: Decent pop album but I don't get the hype; certainly don't see any particular darkness or sadness in her songs that can be remarked upon. For me, it's a more or less forgettable album that I'm not sorry I listened to, but could just as easily have lived without.

So, Love or Hate? Probably be more in the Like area really.