Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you religious?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2015, 11:08 PM   #416 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
The problem isn't with nativity scenes in general, the problem is with nativity scenes on public property. In front of a church or someone's house is no problem. In front of city hall, however, can be seen as an endorsement of a religion, which is a violation of the separation of church and state.
But no one in local office, and nowhere in the local ordinance that says you must be a Christian or believe in Christianity. So in my opinion the separation of Church and State is respected. I don't see how the nativity is violating the separation of Church and State, because there is no compulsion to be a Christian just by looking at it or walking by etc.

The days of the week are named after the Sun, the Moon, Tiu (Týr), Woden, Thor, Freya, and Saturn. Does the government give up the use of the days of the week because by using them it's an "endorsement" of those gods?

Thanksgiving, some say is based on the Jewish harvest feast, others say it's based on pagan harvest feast. I don't see it as an endorsement of either Judaism or paganism since it's a government holiday.

I think that some traditions (Christmas, Thanksgiving, days of the week) that somehow enter into public conscientiousness are not threatening to the separation of church and state. They are just traditions and no one in government is compelling one to believe in a specific religion, doctrine, creed etc.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote