Music Banter - View Single Post - Metal Showdown (Round 3) - Marilyn Manson vs Alice In Chains
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2015, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Two Spirit
Music Addict

Default Metal Showdown (Round 3) - Marilyn Manson vs Alice In Chains

Last round, Manson just barely squeezed a victory over Korn by one point. Now let's see how he will fare against one of the grunge giants of the early 90's.

Alice In Chains

These guys got overshadowed a lot by Nirvana and Pearl Jam at the time, but are still considered part of the Big 4 of grunge along with those bands and Soundgarden.

They're easily my favorite out of the big grunge bands because they also straddled the line between the grunge and metal a lot. Their first album, Facelift, carried a distinct hair metal sound throughout. Dirt, their next effort, is the release they are most known for, and is a damn fine record. There are a few stinkers on there, namely Sickman, Junkhead, and God Smack, but other than those three, it's a flawless album imo.

However, I feel they really upped their credibility with their move into more acoustic and emotional territory with the release of their Jar of Flies EP and their self-titled record the year after.

It's a shame that like Nirvana, the band never made it past their third album with their original vocalist, due to Layne Staley's severe addiction to heroin. They've release two more records with their new vocalist, William DuVall, but it just isn't the same. Great music, but DuVall's vocals can't match up to Staley's.

Marilyn Manson

Let's see if the 90's king of shock can hold up to one of Grunge's greatest.

For me, personally, I have to go with Alice In Chains. They're just simply leagues of Manson in almost every aspect except maybe for the image and makeup. They may have had a declining passion for music the way Manson has if Layne had stuck around and still recorded with them, but as it is now, their small body of work outshines the whole of Manson's.
Two Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote