Music Banter - View Single Post - Ozzy Osbourne solo (vs) Black Sabbath w/ Ozzy (vs) Black Sabbath w/ Dio
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 06:13 AM   #136 (permalink)
Reptile
Groupie

I grew up listening to Black Sabbath even though I grew up in the late 90's. I've listened to enough Sabbath and Ozzy to probably kill a normal human. I know I lost some brain cells along the way. Anyway for me this was an easy answer, Sabbath with Ozzy. I also like Dio, but for me he is a distant third in terms of not only vocal abilities but content. Sabbath had the whole package, dark vocal imagery, heavy riffs with great solos, and choruses that were incredible. I feel the Ozzy solo stuff also has much of this but with a slightly more polished feel. Although Diary of a Madman is incredible, I feel he lost something with the subsequent albums. No More Tears is excellent. Obviously music changed and production improved, but I think one would be hard pressed to find 3 better consecutive metal albums than Volume 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, and Sabotage. I own all of them on vinyl and each record still holds up today. A lot of people rave about the early Sabbath stuff but for me the middle of the catalog is where the meat is, where the band is truly at their peak.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote