Music Banter - View Single Post - John Williams, composer
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charlie View Post
John Williams is a fine composer, but I prefer Danny Elfman. His Alice in Wonderland soundtrack, in particular, sets my juices flowing. If the land could sing, if the trees and rivers and mountains and meadows had a voice, in my head it would sound like this:

Danny Elfman - Alice's Theme
Thank you for the link to one of the Alice in Wonderland pieces by Danny Elfman. The "Alice" song definitely has a magical feel to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadChannel View Post
[...]Firstly, you just have to check out Ennio Morricone, who imo is the greatest film soundtrack composer to ever live. His best work was done in the 60s and 70s, working on spaghetti westerns by directors like Leone and Corbucci: [...]

Another composer that is a genius imo is Bernard Hermann. Listen to this:

I love the freneticism of the track. It also contains one of the greatest motifs in cinema and, placed against Hitchcock's best movie, manages to create a profound sense of dread.

Those are two of my favorites, but these are worth checking out too: [...]
Ennio Morricone's spaghetti western soundtracks do match the feel of those scenes well!

I especially like Bernard Herman's Psycho theme, which is eerie and at times beautiful.

Your clip of the soundtrack from "Come and See" inspired me to read more about the movie, realizing what a powerful movie it must be. I'd heard about its famous scene elsewhere on MusicBanter (when the boy sees flashbacks of images of Hitler's life, all the way to the time when Hitler was just a baby, and then the boy can't bear to kill him), but I hadn't realized that scene was from this movie. The music has a very chilling effect that fits the subject matter of dreadful carnage and cruelty.

Thanks for all the suggestions and videos!
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote