Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #2121 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: The Glow, Pt 2
Artiste: The Microphones
Genre: Indie?
Familiarity: Zero

1. I want wind to blow: Oh just wonderful! An album with twenty tracks! Thanks Machine! Well, it surely can't be as bad as Deadmau5... Nice acoustic start anyway. Not mad about the vocal, seems quite weak. Nice instrumental break in the third to fourth minute, bouncing drums are good and it finishes strongly.
2. The glow pt 2: Seems to ride almost completely on an organ line, quite a lament but not bad.
3. The moon: This has a lovely guitar intro, but then goes a little wild which I wasn't expecting. Actually I like this a lot.
4. Headless horseman: This is much more restrained. His low-key vocal performance is not resonating with me though.
5. My roots are strong and deep: Kind of folky with a sort of ringing organ
6. Instrumental: As it says, it's an instrumental. Quite a nice one.
7. The mansion: This seems completely out of tune?
8. (Something): Seems to be just some sort of horn sound and the next song is titled exactly the same?
9. (Something): Sounds pretty much the same too.
10. I'll not contain you: Most of this is too low-key even for my tastes. It's almost like listening to, well, nothing really.
11. The gleam pt 2: Think there's a mandolin in this. Even at that, I really don't care. This is just boring me now.
12. Map: Nice powerful organ, nice piano but again it's very ethereal and hard to grab anything from it. Better than the previous tracks though.
13. You'll be in the air: Sigh
14. I want to be cold: This is a little chaotic but not much better.
15. I am bored: Indeed.
16. I felt my size: I just wish this would finish now.
17. Instrumental: Yes, it's an instrumental. How clever. Nice piano.
18. I felt your shape: I swear the clock hands have been going backwards as I wait for this to end.
19. Samurai sword: It certainly feels that way. Even this somewhat more energetic instrumental (?) --- no it's not, but the vocals, such as they are, are almost buried in the mix --- can't engender any interest in me. One more track to go. Oh look! A minute of blank space tacked on at the end just for fun!
20. My warm blood: Christ! NINE minutes! I ****ing hate this guy's whiny, moany, dull and disinterested voice. Somebody shut him the **** up please! I can't take much more of this! Well, mercifully it seems to have stopped after three minutes and died away to someone twanging a guitar string slowly over and over. What is the ****ing point of that? Oh well, at least I don't have to listen to this guy sing any more!

End result: I was wrong: it was worse than Deadmau5. At least there was some sort of beat going on there and even though there was little if any vocal, I could hear it when there was. Here, it's like I have to strain to hear what this guy is singing, and he sings as if he just doesn't have any interest in his songs. I know how he feels.

So, Love or Hate? A big ****ing serious Hate for this.