Music Banter - View Single Post - The Scrap Heap
Thread: The Scrap Heap
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #145 (permalink)
Pet_Sounds
Remember the underscore

sixtyxten

1956-2015: 1978

Off the top of my head, I can think of four albums that I love and listen to regularly which were released this year: they are The Cars' eponymous debut, Big Star's Third, The Band's Last Waltz, and Brian Eno's Music for Airports. Damn, none of them even made RYM's top ten.

1-10: 6

Which leaves me with...

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town
heartland rock, roots rock
average rating: 3.98

Before I get into this, let me state how much I loathe that cover. It's an awful picture of Springsteen wearing some sort of robe, and the Underwood typeface looks awkward.

But what it contains is incredible. The Boss takes us on a gritty ride through the lives of working-class Americans. As someone who lives in an old industrial town (which no longer has industry), I can identify with every song. "Badlands" and the title track bookend the album perfectly, much like "Thunder Road" and "Jungleland" on Born to Run (my favourite Springsteen album).

I hadn't listened to Bruce in ages (other than occasionally hearing "Born in the USA" on the radio, but I hate that song) and this reminded me of how powerful his music is, especially the lyrics. I'm off to reacquaint myself with the rest of his discography. If you're looking for me, I can be found under Abram's Bridge.

Three down, 597 to go...

Last edited by Pet_Sounds; 11-20-2015 at 09:24 PM.