Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2015, 03:28 PM   #2141 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Note: Those of a more pedantic bent among you will notice that the next two are both from Goofle. This is out of keeping with my usual rule, ie four other members must rec albums before one who has already done so can do so again, but in this case it just happened that Goofle's was the last of the previous round and he ended up being the first in the new round, so I'm treating them as two separate entities. I could of course have moved his new rec four places down, but I didn't feel it was fair to do that: the four-member-gap rule is there to prevent one person reccing a slew of albums at once and so hogging the limelight. There is a gap of several months between these two recs, so I don't think anyone could accuse Goofle of trying to monopolise anything. With that in mind, here's the first of his two recs, this posted some months ago as the last of what was then the current round.

Title: Gimme Shelter
Artiste: Merry Clayton
Genre: Funk/Soul
Familiarity: Zero

1. Country roads: Powerful voice with a real soul feel to it and more than a little gospel. Some great brass.
2. Tell all the people: This is far more in the gospel mould. Good strong performance. Quite uplifting.
3. Bridge over troubled water: Think I may have heard this song before (!) Good version; lends the old classic some new life.
4. I've got life: Another good strong song.
5. Gimme shelter: Very powerful cover of the Stones classic.
6. Here come those heartaches again: Very nice soulful ballad; great vocal harmonies
7. Forget it I've got it: Yeah, this one is okay but not as good as the previous tracks.
8. You've been acting strange: Kind of same here really
9. I ain't gonna worry my life away: A superbly powerful gospel blues ballad with real teeth.
10. Good girls: Another kind of powerful semi-ballad
11. Glad tidings: Never liked Van Morrison. And I don't like this.

End result: It's a good album but somehow it just doesn't hit the spot for me. I kind of got a little bored about halfway. I'm not very much into soul or funk, and this was just not something I could get into.

So, Love or Hate? Meh, I'll give it a Like. That's being a little generous though.