Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Overrated Rappers....
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2015, 11:33 AM   #31 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
Anyways another artist who I think it slightly overrated is NAS, he's good, but I can't understand why Illmatic is often cited as the best rap album of all time, personally I think Mobb deep's The Infamous is better myself.
I can understand why somebody wouldn't be that impressed with Illmatic. It's only truly great draw is Nas' rapping ability, as the production is dated even for the time period (which doesn't really bother me that much), doesn't have the personality or originality of something produced by RZA or Dre, and in general just isn't that inspiring besides some notable standouts (such as "Life's a Bitch"). But it's still perfectly serviceable.

And Nas may have had more personality on later albums, but his vocal delivery is absolutely fantastic otherwise, and really elevates an album that by any other rapper might have just been one more drop in the bucket.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote