Music Banter - View Single Post - Yoko Kanno (The Anime Soundtrack Maestro)
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Byegone Daze
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I like to pretend the show ended after they came back from the Mystic Valley.
I'm curious, did you watch the Escaflowne the series or did you view the movie?

The series end ticked me off the first time. It felt maudlin (yes, too soapy). The second time, I choked hard and cried from a sense of loss. The third time I realized who the wizard really was. The story really plays well in Japanese, not so well in English.

I've been very fond of Hitomi's voice actress ever since... I never watched the movie... didn't feel the need.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I always watch in Japanese voice & English subtitles. English dubs almost always put me off. The exception are the Studio Ghibli films brought to the US by Disney. They get it right. They use top grade American actors in order not to destroy the nuances of the production.

There's a big difference in Faye Valentine's characterization in Bebop when one considers "Japanese vs English" representations. Japanese Faye was cold, American Faye was hot. The American voice actress projected herself into it in an unfaithful way.

If you change the characterization, you change the story. Most American anime voice-overs bite a big one. So call me a purist or call me a snob.

I could be wrong, no? But that's how I see it!

Nonetheless, I really do love Yoko Kanno's work!

Last edited by Byegone Daze; 12-05-2015 at 11:16 PM. Reason: added clarifying thoughts - hope it helps!
Byegone Daze is offline   Reply With Quote