Music Banter - View Single Post - Yoko Kanno (The Anime Soundtrack Maestro)
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2015, 11:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byegone Daze View Post
I'm curious, did you watch the series or view the movie?
Both. I was a pretty hardcore Esca fan back in the day and I own the series and the movie, but the second half still pales in comparison to the first. Even the guymelef battles, which had previously been visceral and beautifully choreographed, became lazy and boring.

Quote:
I always watch anime voiced in Japanese with English subtitles. I think it's the only way to appreciate Japanese emotion & intent.

Dubs almost always put me off. The exception are the Studio Ghibli films brought to the US by Disney. They get it right. They use top grade American actors in order not to destroy the nuances of the production.

American dub actors usually destroy the meaning and the intent/impact of the product. So call me a purist or call me a snob.

Depends. As a rule of thumb, I watch subs, since American voice actors are terrible. But if I'm watching a comedy then I'll probably watch dub, so long as the voice actors are reasonably good. Reading a joke translated from another language just isn't funny, at least not when you're talking about anime localizations.

My big exception is Hellsing. Why would I want to hear Brits and Germans speak Japanese? Especially when the cast in general is actually pretty damn good as far as Americans go. And while the guy playing Alucard might sound goofy, he sometimes manages to do what he's actually trying to do and it works far better than the generic deep-voiced Japanese actor.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.

Last edited by The Batlord; 12-05-2015 at 11:24 PM.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote