Music Banter - View Single Post - Distortion
Thread: Distortion
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2015, 04:00 PM   #42 (permalink)
Mondo Bungle
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene

Paysage d'Hiver

This is one of, if not my number one favorite black metal project. A one man band by Swiss musician/label owner Wintherr. The name translates to "winter landscape", and take all the common and defining aspects of black metal to the extreme. When it's lo-fi, it's inhumanly raw. When it stretches a song with repetition based around minimalism, it goes for 20 minutes. When it's cold, it's literally samples of icy blizzard-esque winds. Everything about this project completely embodies what this whole journal special is all about.

Though (in my honest opinion) none of these albums are anything short of a masterpiece, I maintain the self titled as my favorite, and the best starting place for anyone. When that violin comes into the first track... Pretty much one of the best things music has to offer.

Darkspace

Darkspace are Wintherr's other project, and a relatively different feeling is present in it's output. Much in the way of all those "spacey" bands mentioned before, but pretty much the king of them all. Instead of blizzard soundscapes of the Winter, Darkspace uses synths and samples to create vast psychedelic soundscapes. as for the metal aspect, the sound is fairly similar in regard to lengthy repetition and rawness, but Darkspace manage to be much heavier. Paysage sticks with airy tremolos a lot, but Darkspace bust out some ultra heavy crunchers and some massive chugs, evident pretty quick in this album. And they come out so well.

*epic guitar solo blasts into my face*

DAMN IT MONDO
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote