Music Banter - View Single Post - The Torture Chamber
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #443 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin_Station View Post
I'm pretty sure I heard that one a long time ago, although I didn't recall much about it. But I'm familiar with Schoof, as he's worked with both Albert Mangelsdorff and Mal Waldron, and I'm a big fan of both. Plus, Derek Bailey is on this album, and I actually worked with Bailey briefly at one point--playing that sort of music isn't my usual bag, but Elliott Sharp is a friend of a very good friend of mine, a drummer was needed in a pinch, and I wound up doing a few gigs with Bailey via Sharp.

Anyway, I liked that quite a bit. It only has the most abstract relation to traditional songcraft, of course, but there's way too much technical skill involved, and there's far too much interesting textural variation for it to not appeal to me at all. 0% torture on that one--I downloaded it and put it in my library instead.

The solos (or apparently duets in some cases based on what I just read about it) are particularly excellent and intense, especially the piano and drum/percussion solos. The piano solo reminded me a lot of Cecil Taylor, who I'm also a fan of. The drum/percussion solo is very prescient of later rock solos.
Wow, very cool! I wasn't sure how you'd receive it, kinda just through what I was listening to at you to see what would happen. I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I do.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote