Music Banter - View Single Post - Horror's Reviews and Such.
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #66 (permalink)
Horror
Music Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
It kind of does bother me. I've always felt that the songs mean more if you're writing them yourself. Take Nanci Griffith as an example. Other than some covers of Country or Folk classics, she writes all her own material, and you get (or I get anyway) a better sense of the person she is, how she grew up, the things that happened to her, through that. Obviously, you can be a great singer and interpret the songs of others really well, and of course not everyone is a songwriter. I just prefer the more personal touch that comes with writing your own songs.

As to their relationship, it would appear to be rock solid. They gig together and guest on each other's albums, so in that way they're probably seen as the First Couple of Country. Nice to know, as you say, that a marriage can survive under the white-hot pressure cooker atmosphere of not one, but two careers in music.
I do agree that it's more personable and meaningful if someone writes the songs themselves but, there are also times I wish some artists would take some creative direction at least from other people.

A good example of this would be Lana Del Rey. I personally really like Lana's music that is for the most part anyway but, I'm getting tired of hearing the same story over and over. Her new album Honeymoon feels so meh. Then when you look at songs she didn't write alone like Young and Beautiful which is hands down my favorite track, she really comes through. That song I feel could end up being timeless. There's so many talented people that end up being tied down to a trope.

Kesha is another example. Ever hear her old acoustics? She has a great voice but, what sells? I'm a cheap drunk that likes to party and I piss glitter. Underage kids like my music because, it makes them feel cool. And she's written so many great songs for other people!

A lot of pop stars fall under this.

Then, there are great singer song writers that can write their own music but, it's really rare and these days? well, even more so.

Sorry if I started rambling lol.

Nanci Griffith is lovely. I decided to look her up since you mentioned her.
Horror is offline   Reply With Quote