Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #2324 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: That's All
Artiste: Bobby Darin
Genre: Crooncore
Familiarity: I've heard of him, sure, but never anything by him to my knowledge

1. Mack the knife: Oh well shut my mouth! Of course I've heard this, and who doesn't love it?
2. Beyond the sea: Oh and I know this of course. Pretty cool song.
3. Through a long and sleepless night: This is never the same song The Divine Comedy have on their Casanova album, is it? Of course not. Nice romantic tune though; orchestra is in great form.
4. Softly as in a morning sunrise: Yeah, it's okay. Very swing/big band, not my sort of thing at all, but good for what it is.
5. She needs me: This is softer, much nicer, a bit more palatable to me.
6. It ain't necessarily so: I know this one of course. Nice slow swing version. Trumpet is cool.
7. I'll remember April: Kind of a Sinatra vibe to this. Meh.
8. That's the way love is: Oh God! The big booming opening and flute just turns me off right away. Ugh!
9. Was there a call for me: This is very maudlin, and again that flute does not help. Pass.
10. Some of these days: This has a kind of strut to it. Don't like it though.
11. Where is the one: This one's quite nice. Reminds me of NKC. Lovely piano and possibly harp?
12. That's all: What's this? A Christmas song? Oh god no: this is bloody awful!

End result: Absolutely not my kind of music, and while I did enjoy one or two tracks it's generally not the kind of thing I would listen to for pleasure. This whole era of music leaves me cold, and this album has done little to change that.

So, Love or Hate? I can't say I hate it, but it's getting a pretty solid Meh.