Music Banter - View Single Post - Whaddya want?!
Thread: Whaddya want?!
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #358 (permalink)
TechnicLePanther
and the livin' is easy...

Here, Plainview. Is this what you want from me? What do you want from me? What do you want?

Album: Live at the Troubadour 1969
Artist: Tim Buckley
Genre: Experimental Rock
Suggested by: grindy
Familiarity: None. Accidentally confused him with Jeff Buckley. I was like, "1969"? What?

1. Strange Feelin'
- Introductory passage not really experimental at all. Some pretty classic folk rock here. It's actually not half bad. Guitars are great, vocals are good enough.

2. Venice Mating Call - Alright, now I'm hearing the experimental nature of this. A bit of jazz fusion, a bit of prog, this is good enough to brighten up my day. I'm really enjoying this.

3. I Don't Need It to Rain - A bit of R&B, sounds just a few years ahead of its time. Some of the vocals sound really muffled and weird. Not annoying, just an observation. The keys are a major part of this one as well. Keeps going on for quite a while, which feels sort of unnecessary and bloated. It's still fine, though.

4. I Had a Talk With My Woman - Good humor at the start. And the music's alright. I'm still getting something out of it. But it's just not as good as the other tracks. Like I said, it's still enjoyable. I think the whistling section towards the end tipped me into green territory.

5. Gypsy Woman - 14 MINUTES? 14 BLOODY MINUTES? Ugh, fine. We'll see if the run time is merited. It's a long-winded bluesy track that seems to go on forever. It definitely doesn't merit the long run-time, but it's not a bad song.

6. Blue Melody - Mellow and sweet, and think this one puts us back on track. Great little tune.

7. Chase the Blues Away - Another mellow, sad track. I like this one a lot more.

8. Driftin' - Another mellow song! Still good though. Bluesier feel on this one, rather than the Radiohead brand of depressed.

9. Nobody Walkin' - Alright, this song is 16 minutes long. While this song is pretty upbeat, a different tone than the other long song, I pretty much feel the same way about it. Probably they just expanded the song for the show. Either way, song's good, length isn't.

I can definitely say I enjoyed this album, but I don't think it's a great live album by any regard. In fact, I don't really understand why bands release live albums except to showcase an outstanding performance. This was just mediocre on average. Good enough to be enjoyable, but nothing particularly special.

OVERALL RATING: 7.5/10

SUGGEST ME AN ALBUM - I'm probably not going to listen to it but I will if you bother me enough.
TechnicLePanther is offline   Reply With Quote