Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2015, 01:47 PM   #2372 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Lie: The Love and Terror Cult
Artiste: Charles Manson
Genre: Folk
Familiarity: Yeah right: who doesn't know the infamous serial killer?
Recommended by: TechnicLePanther

Expectations: I sort of expect it to be poor, weak and amateurish, yet am conscious of going into this biased on the account of his killing all those people and wanting to kill more. Give a guy a break huh? But I'm prepared to try to listen with an open mind, if that's even a physical possibility. You know what I mean. Ok, Manson, prove me wrong!

1. Look at your game girl: Not bad, very raw, kind of reminds me of James Taylor (sorry James) just in terms of vocal. Nice melody but nothing too terribly special from the off. I knew he could play and sing, having watched the series Aquarius.
2. Ego: Don't think much of this. Basically spoken word over some acoustic guitar. Like Dylan but without the style and feeling.
3. Mechanical man: More spoken word with faster acoustic guitar. Bit scary that he refers to “The Family” in the lyric. The lyric is rubbish by the way.
4. People say I'm no good: Nice bit of guitar, but to be honest it's kind of like someone who knows two chords trying to make a song. And I know he can play. So it's a little weird, but this is ****ing terrible.
5. Home is where you're happy: Another poor effort. Man this is painful.
6. Arkansas: This one has at least something about it, though the opening stupid voices are annoying.
7. I'll never say never to always: This is ****ing ridiculous! Forty seconds of women singing like children. Gaaahhh!
8. Garbage dump: Well titled. Really, you couldn't find a word to rhyme with dump, you chump? You couldn't pump a few stumps and bump a rhyme about some girls' rump? You deserve a thump! Also, robbed the melody. Totally.
9. Don't do anything illegal: Oh dear! Eagle rhymes with illegal? Someone throw this guy in jai --- oh. Wait.
10. Sick city: First track where he actually sounds like a singer and plays his guitar in a musical way. Not bad.
11. Cease to exist: Yeah, that wasn't too bad to be fair.
12. Big iron door: This one's okay.
13. I once knew a man: Sort of a Spanish/Mexican feel to this; not sure what the sound is in the background. It's like dripping water. Maybe some sort of basic percussion?
14. Eyes of a dreamer: Kind of a weak closer.

End result: I set out to hate this album, and yet was prepared to give it a chance. However it seems Manson's talent for murder and manipulation was a whole lot better than his talent for music. I'm not surprised this sold so badly, even given the dark connection. Pretty poor effort overall. I would say stick to the day job, but, you know...

Oh, and thanks a lot TLP! Now I have bloody Manson videos being recommended to me by YouTube! As for spam? No, I do NOT want to join your ****ing family! **** off!

So, Love or Hate? Overall, pretty much as expected: a Hate.