Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2015, 05:25 PM   #2396 (permalink)
Plainview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Let's get some more tracks done before Christmas, eh?

Title: “Repentance”
Artiste: The Cartridge Family
Genre: Electronic/Ambient
Taken from: Greed
Familiarity: Heard a few of Plainview's albums. Um.
Suggested by: Well, Plainview, obviously.

Expectations: I don't know. My previous experience with his music was, shall we say, somewhat polarising of opinion, but the last album was not bad at all. So we'll see. Could go either way.

Nice opening synth line, kind of violin-y with a nice bass coming in, tempo is slow and sort of morose (not surprising, given the title) and there's a shot of (probably unintentional) the basic opening melody from Genesis's “Watcher of the skies”. Gentle piano now, then almost in the second minute hard percussion and bass, though the piano remains in a very lounge style but lower in the mix now. Gets a little hard to make out, if I'm honest, and I think the drums overpower it. He probably means this, but it slightly ruins it for me. Drony synth now sliding in and I think the piano has stopped? Yes it has. Getting darker now. Percussion gone entirely, softer synth taking over with another rising behind it. Nice combination. Like this. Percussion is back, so is the piano, but the same problem vis a vis the mix. Now the drums have stopped and the piano and synth are carrying the tune into the last minute. Some lovely bassy organ as we enter the fifth minute with sax or clarinet or something adding a jazzy atmosphere to the end of the song as it fades out.

Conclusion: I would say that is probably the nicest and most complete piece of music I've heard from Plainview. Very melodious but with his by-now standard mixing of different instruments and styles. Not too avant-garde for me, but still pretty unique. Yeah, liked that a lot.

So, Love or Hate? So much so, that it's the first of his efforts to reach Green for me, and is getting a Love.

Possibility of looking into the album: 50% (I'm still hesitant, as it may not all be like this)
Crack open the champagne! Yeah I went for a track I reckoned you'd appreciate. My latest album properly sticks the closest to this style (softer, more acoustic/folky and jazz instrumentation).
The overuse of babe/baby, the lack of any sort of discernible originality, the melodrama and the general sense of an especially heinous sort of hardcore vapid stupidity all make me want to jab my eyes out with a drill-press and then hang myself from the CN Tower with an electrified rope that sends shocks in excess of 10,000 volts through my body as I slowly die. While listening to Dream Theater.
Plainview is offline   Reply With Quote