Music Banter - View Single Post - The Identity Matrix Hall of Fame
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2015, 09:06 PM   #29 (permalink)
The Identity Matrix
[REDACTED]

Something wicked this way comes...

Fixation On A Coworker by Deadguy

Year: 1995
Genre: Metalcore
Nationality: American

The Review: Something magical has happened. I really enjoyed a metalcore album. Why did I enjoy this album while not others? Because of the lack of emo in it. I enjoy some emo but keep it the heck away from my metal, please. Back on topic The Deadguys are a one time thing with this album being their only official record. I actually have heard of these guys prior to listening to the album, but I never listened to them. The album starts off with so much energy that never seems to stop. Tracks like Doom Patrol and Pins and Needles are hard hitting tracks in which the Hardcore vocals mix perfectly with the heavy and fast riffs. I love the fact that not a single song on here is full of machoism, often found in most of the metalcore I have tried to listen to. (Emphasis on the try). Instead the songs focus on other darker/negative lyrical themes. The midsection of this album I would say is its strongest part. The three tracks, Makeshift Atomsmasher, The Extremist, and Nine Stitches have some of the strongest instrumentation and vocals of the album. I guess if I had to dislike one song on this record it would be Crazy Eddie, I just don't seem to click with it as an ending track, but I guess none of the tracks would really be able to close, or open for that matter, the album due to an over cohesiveness of the whole album. It feels almost like no matter what order you put the songs in, the album will leave the same impression. Deadguy's also add some slower riffs into some of these tracks to give them an almost doom quality. Something I have not seen in most metalcore. The album tends to mix the two genres, heavy metal and hardcore, very well with heavy sounding guitar riffs and fast drumming and vocals. A mix that only once made me say "Wait a minute! That doesn't sound right." on the track Baby Arm but maybe that is just me not being used to this kind of sound. Overall I loved almost every minute of this album to death. This is the kind of metalcore I want more of.

Fixation on a Coworker receives a 9.0/10

Standout Trakcs: Doom Patrol, Pins and Needles, Makeshift Atomsmasher, The Extremist, Nine Stiches

Weaker Tracks: Crazy Eddie (Still like it though)

Well it seems we have our second entry into the Hall, and a metalcore record at that. Congratulations to both Deadguy, and The Batlord for officially making it into my Hall of Fame.

Enter the Domain - The Identity Matrix Domain

"I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with potential of a superman. I'm living on." - David Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Just don't piss in his mouth or shove stuff in his dick. He tends to frown upon that.
The Identity Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote