Music Banter - View Single Post - Fastest Rappers
Thread: Fastest Rappers
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #53 (permalink)
Hip-Hop Homework
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Not for me. Good lyrics are so rare that it's always puzzling to me when someone not being able to understand what's being said is an obstacle to enjoying a song. I just tend to like music for the way it sounds. All I require of lyrics is that they're not so bad that they detract from the song which is why, for me, lyrics that are hard to understand or are in another language are often an asset.

A conversation about music I guess.
interesting view and a position with which I can relate. I can appreciate a song that is lacking in the lyrics department but am very critical of what I consider to be good lyrics.

e.g., I can listen to Li'l Wayne's "Greatest Rapper Alive" even tho the song is not even a candidate for a great showcase of lyrical prowess but the instrumental is so freakin' on fire and Wayne at least rides the beat in harmony--so it's an enjoyable song in my opinion, but lyrically. I don't require something I listen to--to be a clinic on lyricism. But my list of greats are all lyrical beasts in some form or fashion.

So my question to you sir (or ma'am) is what do you consider good lyrics, i.e. what are the criteria that qualifies lyrics to be good?
Hip-Hop Homework is offline   Reply With Quote