Music Banter - View Single Post - Fastest Rappers
Thread: Fastest Rappers
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #54 (permalink)
prisoner437x3y0
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I like Aesop Rock's lyrics and they do add to the music for me, but for every Aesop Rock out there I feel like there are a dozen SpaceGhostPurrps—artists who make music that I like but whose lyrics are so distractingly bad that I wish they were in another language.

Well constructed human emotions don't need to come from the words in music. In fact, words are often a distraction from the pure sonic expression that is music. I kind of feel like if a piece of music can't stand on it's own without words telling the listener what to feel, it's a bit of a failure musically.
Well of course there are going to be more inferior artists than good ones, why that has made your entirely dismissive of lyrics is still beyond me after your posts.

Lyrics are equal or often more responsible for the surrounding controversy that offers new tolerance of music as an art. Sure it can be often dismissed as shock value for the sake of it but a lot of it was vital.

I personally like how lyrics have offered non-musicians a voice within music. It allows new group expression, new characters, new perspectives that you don't get with traditional musicians.
prisoner437x3y0 is offline   Reply With Quote