Music Banter - View Single Post - Christmas 2015
Thread: Christmas 2015
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #89 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

I merely have a problem with the inference that my parents lied to me in order to deceive me. They didn't. It's the same as them telling me there's a God when they don't know for sure. It's what was done at the time. Is it done now, here? Probably, for very young children, although fewer will be fooled. Does it hurt in the least? No. I'm taking issue with your (Plankton's) rather grim assertion that it comes back on you in later life. It never has for me. Of course I don't know how I would have turned out had I been told there was no Santa. Maybe I might have had a less creative imagination. Maybe I would have refused to believe it and resented my parents for destroying the illusion. But I never did, and never will, resent them for pretending, and I see no harm in it.

As I said, it's turning the whole thread into darker corners than I would like, so I'd prefer that we agree to disagree and just leave it at that. I'm sure you can understand, and appreciate that your claims are making me angry and hurt, although I know they're not intended that way, at all. Nevertheless, it's a subject I would prefer to be shelved and move on to other aspects of Christmas.