Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2015, 04:57 PM   #2407 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Nowhere
Artiste: Ride
Genre: Shoegaze
Familiarity: Zero
Recommended by: bob

1. Seagull: Nice bassline, reminds me of something? Ooh! Like the group vocal, very nice. Uptempo without being too fast, lot of power yet somehow kind of restrained? Well, it gets pretty wild near the end. Impassioned, sure.
2. Kaleidoscope: Like its title, a little all over the place and maybe trying to do too many things at once? Not mad about this one.
3. In a different place: Like this one though; slow punchy ballad with a sense of The Waterboys or The Adventures about it. Has quite the celtic air.
4. Polar bear: Like this too. Kind of a staggered guitar (I don't know what it's called, maybe phased? Sort of sounds a little like an old steam locomotive) and a really nice vocal with again that celtic touch.
5. Dreams burn down: Reminds me of a mix between Big Country and Enya. In a good way. Throw in some Lightning Seeds for good measure. Slower track, very intense. Like when the guitar really punches in.
6. Decay: Kind of downbeat lyric with an uptempo beat, some great percussion
7. Paralysed: Like the melody in this one a lot. Slight sense of panic and paranoia in it. Great guitar solo.
8. Vapour trail: And a really nice closer. Is that violin?

End result: Not, to be fair, the revelation bob's recs usually are, but well up to his usual standard. Just as Micco is helping me appreciate more music that is outside my usual wheelhouse (old r&b, soul, swing etc) so bob seems to be becoming my go-to guy for elegant indie albums that usually really touch me. As we say here in Eire, go on ya good thing ya!

So, Love or Hate? Nevertheless, I don't quite feel I can give this top rating, but it's a very solid Love for sure.