Music Banter - View Single Post - Best hiphop verse ever
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #27 (permalink)
Hip-Hop Homework
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Jip View Post
Has there ever been a more disappointing rapper then canibus?..the guy is considered a bit of a joke. 2nd round KO is a Hip Hop classic but LL ended up killing his career in the end so he didnt really win. and then he starts taking shots at Eminem and has absolutely no chance because of the eminem bandwagon. and then he got absolutely annihilated in a battle against dizaster, its painful to watch..he pulls out a notepad, twat.

The guy is self-made...he might not have the commercial success or mainstream appeal you might use as a measuring stick for success but his career was never killed by LL.

I think Canibus in his prime, if he would've stricken back at Eminem would've bodied Em. Em is nice but so was Canibus and he has an entire body of work to support that.

The whole Diz thing...yeah, I mean. I know. He's an old lion and apparently don't give a "F" anymore. But considering him a disappointment for doing that well into the twilight of his career is kinda like expecting an alzheimers patient to look both ways before crossing the street.

If you think he's disappointing, you either a. haven't heard everything he's put out or b. have mismanaged expectations and have heard some catalog of hip-hop that managed to be wonderful without the likes of Canibus...

3 of his first 4 albums were extremely good, classic by my measure. And he has a plethora of cameo appearances on pretty much a who's who in hip-hop from 1997-2002. This guy has worked with the likes of Nas, Kool G Rap, Rakim, Common, Chino XL, Ras Kass, KRS-ONE, Inspectah Deck, pretty much all of flip-mode, Big Pun...if you consider that more than 50% of most people's top 10 lyricists wanted to or have worked with Canibus. Even as subjective of a debate as it is, his greatness almost becomes an objective reality that even the most hardened of critics can't deny.

I could go on but I trust that should suffice to sway your opinion back to where it should be?

Can-I-Bus, 2000 B.C., and Mic Club...

And here, give this a listen for the more obscure cameos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUXk...e-cU2CJ9fsl2_v

Just sayin'...

You don't have to like Canibus but to say he's more disappointing than anybody?

I mean, eminem still makes music and I've heard the shady records channel...Eminem is just as disappointing and while Em never committed the battle faux pas 'Bus did with Diz, it doesn't make Canibus or his career anymore disappointing than the next artist who's in the twilight of their career and resisting the transition to mainstream obscurity.

I say this outta respect because it seems like you see Canibus through a lens of the bad publicity he's caught instead of the through the lens of the outstanding contributions he made in his first 5 years of hip-hop, which is still being remixed by producers to this day because that dude contributed more than you think.
Hip-Hop Homework is offline   Reply With Quote